I am the daughter of a king, wife of the most incredible man, mother of an amazing boy born from my belly and mother of two beautiful girls and one handsom boy born in my heart. I am an African loving, adoption advocating, orphan loving, holy spirit filled, Irish football crazed, Jesus loving girl on a mission to provide a family that is a living example of what God's love looks like. Undefined by size, color or nationality bringing glory to him one adoption at a time.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

OK OK, I know I missed my 6th week update and everyone has been emailing me to see what’s going on, but the truth is that I didn’t have a ton to update!!!


I have kept myself busy every day, hiking the hills, spending time with my amazing children, spending time with friends and doing my best to stay positive. After all, this was entirely my own decision to leave before we had a court date so I can’t complain that I am currently “stuck” here right? As painful as that is to admit it is our reality. :)

The truth is that our judge is brand new and he’s asking for patience and time to review the laws in the family division. I try to remember what it’s like to start a new job and the pressures that come with that and I in some small way can understand. I am told by almost everyone he’s a good Christian man and so my heart feels relief knowing that my case will be in his hands. Although patience is hard to come by these days I’m trying to take it in stride.

Rebekah and Elijah never cease to amaze me. Rebekah has spoken only English for the last few days and she is doing so incredibly well. Elijah is quickly picking up on his sister’s cue that it’s time to switch over.  They have such a simple sweet spirit about them and I see all the advantages in them of me being here with them so long before traveling home. They are learning all their words, manners, and simple things like eating with silverware. They are SOO well behaved; God has blessed me with a couple of great learners and listeners! And they are quite simply so easy to please. I haven’t found any food other than soup that they don’t like which makes mealtime wonderful. They have learned in the last two weeks that it is OK to stop eating when you are full and they’ve developed a trust that the next meal will be there. And I truly we feel 100% bonded to them. We are ready!!!

There have been riots here the last week; people are rioting over the high gas prices and food prices. Right now food prices are double so people are starving and desperate. There is to be another planned demonstration on Monday that we pray ends peacefully and we will be staying indoors. You could hear shots from the house where I’m staying and there were people killed and children tear gassed in other areas of Uganda. Praying for provision of these people and praying for safety of ourselves and all of our friends staying here.

I went to a place called Prayer Mountain this week. It was amazing. It’s a mountain literally where people can just go and pray anywhere from hours to days, you can stay up to a week. My friend Kelly watched the kids for me and I went with my friend Melissa who has been here since August trying desperately to get home with her daughter. So blessed to have her as a friend here, we prayed, cried, talked, it was wonderful. We went our separate ways for a bit and I just spent some time with Jesus. Ahhhh…….it was so fulfilling. The view from the mountain is that of Lake Victoria and it really was breathtaking. I haven’t had a quiet moment since I’ve been here and it was so well needed. I felt like I finally had time for Him, no interruptions, just Him

I went to a place called the fabric Market today where Ugandans sell their absolutely gorgeous fabrics. It was right next to the famous Owino Market. Let me just say, it was CRAZY down there. I was overwhelmed. I’ve never seen so many Africans and taxis in my life and everyone is trying to get you buy and constantly asking me “where did you get these babies from?” There are people everywhere and pushy! Not a very welcoming environment for someone of Western decent or someone adopting. I went with Kelly and Melissa and we were READY to go after about 45 minutes. I got some AMAZING fabric though for very cheap so I’m anxious to have another story to tell. :)

I’m all about trying to live up the African culture while I’m here. I take boda bodas a lot of places, that’s something I refused to do last year. But I promised myself I would NOT live in fear and lets face it, I’m running out of money for drivers. Today we hiked the hills around us to get to the main road and they were so steep my kids kept sliding back down! It’s amazing to me that vehicles can even drive on them! I ate pretty much all African food this week, yes that means beans and matooke, where I’m staying so I treated myself to pizza at lunch today. I love the African food here but once in a while it’s nice to have something that reminds you of home! I took a deworming treatment this week as I’ve consumed pretty much all the fruits and vegetables and I brush my teeth with the water.…..:) Well enough about that. :) Not living in fear!

Other than that we are doing great! We are still anxiously praying for our court date and are hopeful that it will be this week. I am however waiting on Him for that as His timing is always perfect. I LOVE that we have technology such as Skype to keep us connected. LOVING the weather and trying to take in all God has planned for us.


Psalms 40:1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

Be blessed,

Heather





1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow! Praise the Lord! It is so great to read about your adoption journey! This is so awesome. Also, Psalm 40 was one of the chapters I read that led me to the Lord when I was first saved in 2002. Awesome!! He is so amazing, isn't He?!!! God bless you all as you begin this new life together. ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete